Top ten reasons why I like identifying myself as an evangelical
10. I like Tony Campolo and Ron Sider and they identify themselves as evangelical.
9. Evangelical means so many different things to different people.
8. It starts with “e” and so do “environmentalist, eccentric, egalitarian, ecumenical, emotional, endomorphic, egocentric, etc.” I could get an alliteration going that would help me describe myself.
7. Evangelicals have the most exciting worship services.
6. Evangelical faith has passion, emotion and energy.
5. I don’t really care what people call me or think of me because I’m secure in my identity.
4. It helps me keep my job teaching at a Bible college.
3. “Evangelical” means “good news” and I like giving and receiving good news.
2. The Gospels [i.e. evangels] of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John are a good read.
1. The good news is a fundamental truth: that God is love. I want to be associated with such a God.