We’re looking to hire an Editor/Creative Director
Permanent (pending initial 3-month review) 20 hours/week, .5 FTE
Deadline for applications: September 10, 2017
Start date: October 1, 2017
Geez magazine (http://geezmagazine.org/) is a quarterly, non-profit, print magazine that explores issues related to social justice, art, and activism for folks who find themselves on the fringes of faith. Based in Winnipeg, Manitoba on Treaty 1 land, our purpose is to educate the public by publishing writing and visual art of the highest possible quality.
The editor/creative director would work as the main editor to create four print issues a year, in collaboration with other staff and a directing board.
- Editorial tasks: Oversee all editorial tasks, following a quarterly print schedule
- In consultation with the editorial committee, create a schedule of upcoming issue topics
- Maintain a production schedule, including drafting and circulating a call for pitches based on the upcoming issue topic, receiving pitches and making assignments, setting deadlines, assigning guest editors for topic consultation and editorial assistance, liaising with writers to provide feedback and guidance, liaising with staff designer on images and structural layout, copy editing (as needed), reviewing and ensuring clean copy for publication
- Paylist: Organize and submit contributor paylist following publication
- Website editorial: Write, assign, edit, and publish online-only content, in addition to formatting and uploading the magazine online
- Staff supervision: Oversight of interns, organize volunteers for proofreading each issue
- Event and social engagement: Represent Geez at events, conferences, speaking engagements, etc.
- Board engagement: Report to and collaborate with the board on fundraising, promotional events, grant writing, financial strategizing; attend regular board meetings
- Other editorial tasks, as necessary
Experience and skills:
- Master of Arts in Journalism, Communications, English, or a related field
- Minimum of three years editorial experience, preferably as managing or senior editor, with demonstrated ability to organize staff and operations
- Experience managing volunteers and mentoring interns
- Working experience with Adobe products (particularly InDesign), and Mac office software
- Experience navigating and promoting hybrid print-online publications
- Successful history of grant application; fundraising experience an asset
Apply by emailing a cover letter, resume, portfolio, and two references to the Geez Press hiring committee at email@example.com.