Aw shucks Geez
We’re all flabbergasted over here in the Geez office. It seems that we’ve just raked in some awards.
The Associated Church Press held their awards night on April 29, and Geez took a first place, claiming the Award of Excellence in the Special Interest Magazine category. During the 2008 awards, Geez received third place in this category.
The Canadian Church Press also announced the results for this year’s Awards of Merit, and Geez claimed five firsts, two seconds, and one third place.
The firsts include:
- Features for Where the Wild Things Grow, by Clayton Dach (Geez 19, The Wild Issue)
- Opinion Piece for Why the World Needs Fat Acceptance, by Lesley Kinzel (Geez 18, The Body Issue)
- Service Journalism for Simple Thoughts for Engaging Technology, by Aiden Enns (Geez 20, The Super Cyber Issue)
- Black and White photo for Geez 18, The Body Issue
- Magazine Front Cover for Geez 18, The Body Issue.
The seconds are:
- Narrative for What Remains, by Hillary Evans (Geez 17, The Work Issue)
- Layout and Design of an Edition for Geez 18, The Body Issue
And the third place:
- General Excellence for Geez 18, 19 and 20
“All of the recognition is great,” said our fearless leader Aiden Enns. “But what’s more rewarding is the fact that we’re even doing this crazy thing called indepdendent media.”
Geez was also nominated for best coverage in the Body/Spirit category for the 22nd annual UTNE Independent Press Awards (see complete list of nominees here). Although we didn’t win it this time, it was exciting to be included on the short-list of top magazines. Congrats to the award-winner, Tikkun, and to all the other winners of UTNE awards!